Monday, June 1, 2020

How lovely is the silence with painted bamboo


Hi, there!  It's finally a nice consistently warm temperature here and my garden is growing.  I do love going outside to see what has decided to bloom... it's also my time of peace and quiet while all the kids are still inside, hopefully working on their schoolwork during this "distance-learning" bit.  

It made me think of this stamp:  How lovely is the silence of growing things.  And you know what grows amazingly quick?  Bamboo - that stuff will take over your yard if given a chance.  Since I had this stamp nicely positioned on my Misti, I went ahead and stamped and embossed on 2 each of black cardstock and kraft cardstock.  I knew I wanted to paint some bamboo to frame the quote - and since I've never tried painting bamboo before, I knew I would appreciate having the extras.  I also sponged the edges on a couple of the pieces with a light green to see if the softened edges would look nice.  

I used my  Coliro M600 Artist Mica Watercolor Paint, Metallic, Gold palette for the bamboo. The main stem of the bamboo was painted in the white gold and the leaves in the middle gold shade. 



The stem was a bit full so I tried to used less paint on the second one.  I like it more but it was hard to be consistent.  Afterwards, I tried matting in a smaller gold sheet than the silver above.



On the kraft cardstock, I tried using a dark green Sakura brush and that gave me skinnier branches. 



On my last attempt, I mixed the green from the brush with the silver color of the paint.  It looks really nice at an angle but very muted straight on.  I think I like the last one the most.  


So here's my tip:  don't be afraid to try something new and go ahead and prepare several to try different techniques.  Having them all ready to paint made it much easier than painting one and stopping to emboss another each time.



I made videos of how I painted these bamboos but having trouble importing them onto here.  I think the file is too big?  I'll put it up on my instagram @yourstrulybydiana later today if you really want to see.  Thanks! 

How Lovely is the Silence - Mounted


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...