Friday, February 21, 2014

Quietfire Designs for Clothing.....You BET!!!!


I am sure by now you have figured out that I am in LOVE with the Silhouette Cameo and all of the cool things that can be made with it. Well, today won't be any different, except this time I didn't make a paper crafting product or home decor item.  Today I made a garment, a useful kitchen garment, an apron.

I am in luck in my love of the Silhouette Cameo, because Suzanne Cannon has FABULOUS designs sold in the Silhouette Online Store!!


Today I am going to share two ways you can use Heat Press Vinyl to create fun clothing, hats and anything you can iron on.



I started with another clearance bin item, lime green apron.


Using the Silhouette Cameo software I was able to import the image from the Silhouette Online store, "flip" the image horizontally and cut.  Easy peasy, puddin' -n- pie!!!


Now you can see why you have to flip the image before you cut.  Heat Transfer Vinyl has a clear,  glossy,  medium tack adhesive transfer sheet that is a barrier for the heat transfer vinyl and the actual heat press.  

When you apply the heat transfer material to the Silhouette Cameo cutting mat, the clear, glossy side is the side that is stuck to the cutting mat.  The dull or muted side is where the image will cut.  

After the image is cut and you weed off the extra vinyl, flip the image onto you garment and your ready for heat.

I am going to show two ways that heat transfer vinyl can be used.  


With my image in place, I put my garment on my 15" heat press.  My  temperature setting is 360 degrees.  


A teflon sheet between my garment and the actual heat part of the press.  Close the lid for 15 second.  My press has a timer, so it tells me when my shirt is complete!!  Yeah for that.  Not one burnt shirt yet.  haha.


My timer has gone off and the image is applied to the apron.  Yeah!!

Here is the second method.  Just to be upfront, this way will take 20 to 30 minutes.


Place your garment and cut image on an ironing board, place a press cloth or any light weight cloth over the transfer sheet of the image and the garment.  You want to do this, because you will be applying as much pressure as you can with your household iron over the image.  Prolonged heat to the transfer sheet will cause warping and possibly a bit of melting plastic to your iron and garment (BIG NO NO!!).


Continue to apply pressure to your iron over the image.  You will need to lift the press cloth and transfer sheet from time to time to see how progress is coming.  If your project is taking 20 to 30 minutes.  That is normal.

I hope that this quick tutorial has inspired you to look at Suzanne Cannon's Designs in a whole new way and another way to use your Silhouette Cameo.

Have a fabulous day!!!

5 comments:

Anne said...

Simply brilliant and what a transformation! Wished I had an apron like that...maybe I wouldn't get any complaints about my burnt offerings!!!!!!!!! :OD

Yogi said...

cute Wendy
Have a great day

Robyn said...

This post is seriously causing me to waiver on my vow not to get into vinyl!

Jutta said...

Lovely apron Wendy!

trudie said...

I am assuming it is washable? where do you get the heat press vinyl?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...