Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Guest Designer - Julia Dunnit - Part 2

If you missed it, Julia shared two gorgeous cards with us here.  Today she is sharing three more!


Well gentle reader of course I can't leave the Quiefire Design stamps alone. I'm too old to change and so I've continued to make cards that feature text on the front....it can describe the intention of the inside, issue an immediate greeting, convey wisdom...you get it.




And then there's humour too.  Love this.  This card of course, follows my tradition and is easy to make.  The shoe stamp is Dawn Houser for Inkadinkado, stamped in good old Black Versafine ink and then re-stamped immediately (second generation ink).  The two were then cut out (it is a one shoe image).  The background image, a Marianne stamp, is stamped in second generation of Dove Grey Stazon; then the rose head and leaves are incredibly lightly coloured and washed with water to pale them down.  The 'incredible' part of this is that I managed not to be too heavy handed. (But then you aren't privvy to the number of false starts I made either...).

The Perfect Pair of Shoes
I used a ruler to tear the postcard image from the card, coloured the torn edge with Victorian Velvet Distress Stain, and matted and layered it onto a black pre-fold card.  Stamp the sentiment (The Perfect Pair of Shoes) - again black Versafine, and give it drying time. (Ask me how I know to advise you about this). Lastly, just glue the cut out shoes on - lightest behind.  Stick the front shoe at a jaunty angle over the first one so as to slightly create the illusion of a pair!
Now....send your lovely card to anyone you know who's trying something new, starting up, starting over or considering anything.  A frightened woman doing DT work, for example.

Well I had to really, didn't I?  I was quite insensible over the choice over at Quietfire Design, and consider myself to have been very strong indeed in choosing only two from so many beautiful Christmas related texts.


I may be late to the Kraft party, but this year I've used it more than ever, and see no sign of stopping! This card features the Tidings text and a die by Sizzix under the Tim Holtz signature line. The papers are from a single set called Krafty Christmas by Dovecraft.

Tidings
I coloured the edges of the tag and the gingham paper with light touches of Vintage Photo Distress Ink (off a sponge), the sentiment is embossed with Cosmic Shimmer embossing powder: Blue Raspberry Aurora.  I can't say that word. Aurora.
I stuck the gems on one at a time, they are from an old pack that I can't identify...and you can tell that I didn't have a template!




And then…



Oh, Santa
See what I mean - Kraft and Red again!  LOVE this cheeky message! Here's a Dolly Mama stamp from Penny Black, stamped and embossed with White powder.  I cut her out  but left a decent margin around her...to allow the image to stand out a bit and to avoid too much cussing at the fussy cut job I'd given myself!  She's coloured with sponges and various Distress Inks (before cutting out)...no careful colouring here - if I want to repeat this card, the cutting has to be the only slow part!  The Kraft mat is embossed with a plaid folder from Design Objectives (DO Crafts) and the printed stock is by My Mind's Eye....the ruled print is the other side of the pattern print, so only one piece was harmed for the making of this card. I've given her gobbly eyes too...well, she is trying to hide a fib after all.  The text is embossed with WOW Red powder.  The quality of the lettering and the rubber means that these Quietfire stamps are a gift to emboss, and in my opinion, that shows them at their best on an otherwise busy card.

We'd like to thank Julia for her wonderful projects and entertaining instructions!  I don't think I've ever chuckled so much when I've been editing.  What Julia didn't mention is that she is the founder of WOYWW - What's On your Workdesk? WednesdayParticipants photograph projects they are working on and post them to their own blogs, then hop over to WOWW and link their blog with all the others.  "Desk hopping at its best"  Hop on over and check it out!

9 comments:

Robyn said...

Fun post- you surly have a way with words and ink , Julia!

Anne said...

Well Julia I certainly loved your last projects and these are no different! They are superb! I love the vintage feel of each card and the last one is so amusing! Indeed your whole dialogue has had me chuckling! Of course I remember your name now, I joined in a couple of WOYWW but I no longer have a blog. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous projects!

Judy said...

Cute cards Julia. These sentiments are fun. Thanks for sharing with us.

Yogi said...

nice cards. The Oh Santa card is cute. Have a great day

I'm a Little Teapot said...

All of your projects have been great, Julia! So creative! The Santa card made me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Julia! Unfortunately no time for me at the moment for WOYWW, but I do take a peek regularly :)
Lovely post, and lovely cards, the first one is just gorgeuos and delicate, the second makes me think of gingerbread -jummy! and the third is just a lot of fun!
greetings,
Debbie / Daqa

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous!!

Eliza said...

Julia you are a treasure to behold, brilliant cards like always and the twerky writing style I love reading, you do make me laugh. Oh and that saying 'Tidings of Comfort and Joy' love it.

Hugs Eliza

Charity Morris-Chamberlain said...

Oh my goodness! These are all super wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...