by Judi Kauffman
Suzanne Cannon posted a project on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog featuring hand-embossed Shimmer Sheetz surrounding a die cut. She used a stylus tool to draw de-bossed lines and doodle patterns around the sentiment. I thought it would be fun to take that concept in another direction.
For my project, I used a piercing tool in addition to a stylus and did most of the work on the BACK of the Shimmer Sheetz. Pierced holes form a raised dotted pattern on the front. The stylus, in turn, creates de-bossed dots that help to flatten the Shimmer Sheetz around the word ‘Thanks’ since piercing will distort the Mylar and cause it to curve. This is not a problem with the butterflies so there is no stylus work on those.
Change the color combination to suit your taste, and if you don’t have alcohol inks on hand to alter Shimmer Sheetz for the butterflies, skip that step.
1. Die cut the word ‘Thanks’ from Shimmer Sheetz or heavy cardstock that has Clear Double Sided Adhesive on the FRONT side. Adhere the word to the back of a piece of Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz (or whatever color you’ve selected).
3. With the piece facing up, use a craft knife to scrape lines on the inside of each letter (lines will be white, the core color of the Shimmer Sheetz). Use a stylus tool to create randomly spaced de-bossed dots all around the word as shown in the photo below. Cut a rectangle measuring 4.25” x 2.5”, back with Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet; mat to Perfect Pink Soft Finish Cardstock, leaving an eighth-inch border.
4. Alter a piece of Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with alcohol inks (Optional). Put black outline butterfly peel-offs on the BACK and selectively pierce around and inside the outlines. No need to pierce all of the pattern lines. Pull away and discard the butterfly peel-offs.
5. Turn the Shimmer Sheetz right side up and use fine pointed scissors to hand cut around the butterflies. Bend wings upward as shown below.
6. Emboss a 5.25” x 4.75” piece of Light Pink Iridescent Shimmer Sheetz with the butterfly folder. Lightly sand to tone down the sparkle and bring out the white core color.
7. Cut a 5.75” x 12” piece of Rosebud Soft Finish Cardstock. Score at 6”, fold in half for card base (fold at left side).
8. Assemble the card front as follows: Embossed Shimmer Sheetz rectangle, centered left to right, a quarter-inch down from top edge; greeting (foam tape beneath rectangle for added dimension); butterflies (secured with small slivers of Tombow Power Adhesive Tabs, ideal for holding Shimmer Sheetz to Shimmer Sheetz).
Quietfire Design A Way With Words –
Elizabeth Craft Designs –
Shimmer Sheetz in Pink and Light Pink Iridescent0412 Butterflies peel-offs in Black
Soft Finish Cardstock in Perfect Pink and Rosebud
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet and Tape
KB101 Butterflies embossing folder
Tombow Power Adhesive TabsFoam tape
Fine pointed scissors
Piercing pad or soft mouse pad