Friday, December 6, 2013

May you have the gladness of Christmas

Hi, everyone!   Judy Hayes here today as guest designer! 

What an honor and a pleasure to be here!This is my 4th year on Spellbinders DT, currently on Mixed Media DT. I'm also on Julianna Hudgins DT.
That's all I have time for as I work full time.
 I'm postmaster in the little town of Walnut Grove, Minnesota, of Laura Ingalls fame. I enjoy sewing, knitting, crochet, gardening as well as paper crafting, jewelry making and mixed media art. 

I chose the Quietfire Designs verse May You Have the Gladness of Christmas to use for a Christmas canvas. I love the elegance of this verse!  The calligraphy is perfect! 


It's framed  on a small 5x7 canvas,so this design could easily be used for a card as well.
 This would be so pretty on a table with greenery and candles!  

The gold frame is cut and embossed from craft foil with dies from Spellbinders Decorative Labels Twenty-Eight set.  Nest the 2 largest dies together to get the frame. 


To further enhance the embossed detail in the frame, rub black acrylic paint over it and wipe off the excess before it dries.  I like the vintage look of it.
Stamp the verse with Versafine Black Onyx ink on cream cardstock.  Then  cut it out with the largest die used for the frame.



 I like to stamp first and then align the die around the verse. 
This makes it easy to get it centered and straight that way.  

Rub Antique Linen ink around the verse.  The little holly swirl from Christmas is the Day set is stamped  at the top with Vintage Photo ink, then glued the foil frame to the verse piece.

Next, cut the white open work frame that covers the canvas. 
This was cut and embossed from cream card stock with largest die from Spellbinders Majestic Labels Twenty-Five nested in the largest die from 5 x7 Matting Basics A. 


Before  removing the card stock from the dies, ink the border along the edge with Antique Linen ink.  I like how it sets off the white and frames the whole piece.



Since my canvas had staples along the edge (not very pretty), I covered the whole thing with muslin that is wrapped around to the back and glued.  Sponge on ShabbyShutters ink to make it green. 

The open white frame is glued to the muslin covered canvas with craft glue.
Adhere the framed verse with foam squares for a little dimension. 
The poinsettias were cut and embossed from the same cream card stock with Spellbinders Layered Poinsettia. 
Ink through the dies with Antique Linen ink to highlight the veins.
 Spray the petals with Sparkle Shimmer Mist before assembly.   The shimmer just doesn’t show in my photos. 
Add gold flower centers to each one.
   I also cut and embossed 3 large leaves and one of the largest poinsettia from green card stock.  I simply cut apart the large poinsettia for smaller leaves.  The poinsettias and leaves are fastened with Glue Dots.
Lastly, tie a ribbon through a hole on the gold frame edge. 



May you have hope, peace and love this Christmas season!

You may visit Judy on the web on her blog Creating…my style

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Beautiful card Judy... you always do gorgeous work and happy to see you as a guest designer :)

Yogi said...

gorgeous card. Love the die set, makes me want it. Sigh!!. The whole card is really nicely put together. Have a great day

Kathy Eddy said...

This is just beautiful!

Holly said...

Gorgeous project! Love it all....

Unknown said...

So beautiful Judy! I love the aged look of the frame!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...