Friday, January 4, 2013

A Journey of a Thousand Miles . . .


begins with a single step!

Good morning!  Sherry here today and I’ve got a mixed media project to share with you.

Much to my dismay, when I went down to my storage area looking for one of the small wood frames I keep on hand, I didn’t have a one left.  I must have used the last one recently for another project and I haven’t had time to get out and do any junk store shopping to fill my stash back up.  Because I had my heart set on using this specific sentiment today - - A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - - I decided to make a frame from chipboard.

SCheeverSingleStepFrame

The frame was made by die cutting thin chipboard pieces with Spellbinders Grand Labels One and Labels One and then layering them all together.  In total, the base is 4 pieces and the top frame is 6, leaving an opening for me to mount the sentiment on one piece and popping it up with foam tape.

SCheeverSingleStepFrame Sentiment

The top layer of the frame is made with gold embossing foil that was embossed with Spellbinders Dainty Dots M-Bossabilities and sanded to show the gold layer beneath.

SCheeverSingleStepFrame LargeRose

The flowers are made with watercolor paper that was die cut with Rose Creations.  Each petal was colored with Dried Marigold and Fired Brick Distress Stains, misted with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls and water, and then shaped and scrunched while they were still damp.

SCheeverSingleStepFrame SmallRose

The leaves were colored with Vintage Photo, Peeled Paint and Forest Moss Distress Stains, misted with the same Heirloom Gold solution and shaped while damp.  The flourishes were die cut from watercolor paper with the flourish/flair from Venetian Motifs and then painted with a gold leafing pen.

SCheeverSingleStepFrame angleview

Well that’s all for me today.  I’ll be back later in the month with a Valentine Day project!

Thanks for stopping by and joining me today.

SHERRY SIGNATURE

Project Supplies:

12 comments:

krcmasterpiece said...

This project is so elegant! Love those flowers and the sentiment!

Dee in N.H. said...

So pretty!! Perfect sentiment!

Kathy Eddy said...

Love what you did here Sherry and the fact you had to make the frame and all is really wonderful. Gorgeous roses as always.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Beautiful! The flowers are stunning!

Yogi said...

wow!! the roses turned out faulously. Have a great day

Robyn said...

Beautiful frame for a beautiful sentiment.
Love the can do attitude !

Francie in Montreal said...

I am so impressed with your card. It is beautiful in every respect - the balance, overall design, colour combo, roses, sentiment, just everything - a feast for the eyes.

Janice said...

Sherry I guess I am having a seniors moment, I just did not 'get' how you embossed the gold dots onto the black cardstock. Can you take a moment to explain?
Janice
beta_rose@yahoo.ca

Sherry Cheever said...

Janice that is a sheet of gold embossing foil that has a black coating on top. I die cut the embossing foil to match the frame using the dies, then I put the foil into the M-Bossabilities and ran it through the Grand Calibur. I was able to then sand the raised (embossed) areas to bring out the gold underneath. I think I'll do a tutorial on this one . . . subscribe to my YouTube Channel if you haven't already so you'll catch the updates.

Quietfire said...

Oh, cool! I didn't realize there was coated foil! I thought you'd painted the gold foil black. (what a lot of extra work that would be!) Thanks Sherry!

Janet L. said...

Beautiful!! I love those watercolor paper roses, Sherry!

Anonymous said...

I, too, thought you had painted the gold foil black. Absolutely love the roses!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...