Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Walnut Hollow & Quietfire Design - Rustic Wood Ledge - Give Thanks


Yogi here today and I've finally found a container that holds all my immediate paraphernalia on my desk... It's a Rustic Wood Ledge by Walnut Hollow item #40310.
What's in this holder is everything I use on a daily basis... plus what I love is the positive affirmations I see all the time, and double plus, since both sides are different, I can just turn it around and not get bored with it...
 
Welcome to the
 Walnut Hollow & Quietfire 2014 Blog Hop!  
We’re pleased you’re joining us and know you’ll find lots of creative inspiration for combining Quietfire stamps on the beautiful Walnut Hollow wood products.  

To be eligible for our grand prize, your work is simple:  


Please leave a comment on each of our blog posts, nine here on the Quietfire Creations blog and five on the Walnut Hollow blog hop posts here: 
So that will be 14 comments in total on two different blogs from September 29, 2014 to October 3, 2014!  The winner must be a resident of North America

http://walnuthollowcrafts.wordpress.com/
We will draw the prize on Monday, October 6th, 2014 and the winner will be announced shortly after in a separate blog post. We look forward to seeing your comments!  Tell your friends!

... to continue with the descriptions for my project:
I'm using parts of quotes  and one of the newest quote stamps from Quietfire Design. as well as the printed words from eCut labels available on the Silhouette online store.

Craft Room Labels General, Craft room Labels - Pen set, (ps there are more labels available), Courage Doesn't Always Roar, You May Not Be Able, Give Thanks For Little.

I sanded the outside until I got the smoothness I wanted. I gave the front a very light coat of white gesso.


I traced a real oak leaf onto cardstock, cut it out and used it as a stencil to draw my leaf design using a pencil. I went over the lines adding veins with a wood burning pointed tool. I also added some darker areas below the leaves as shadows. Colored the leaves with Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils and moved the colors around with water.



VERY LIGHTLY sprayed a piece of photocopy paper with repositionable spray (Krylon Easy Tac), placed a piece of white tissue paper onto the stickiness, then trimmed off the excess. Ran it through my printer, printing the words from the label designs. Carefully removed the tissue paper from the photocopy paper. Used a wet brush around the words to tear it. Adhered it to the leaves with Golden's Matte Medium.

Masked off the words from the quote I wanted to stamp and inked it with Versafine Black Onyx, clear embossed.

Stamped the ladybug (Lasting Impressions) a couple times. Added the 3D ladybug from my stash (very old stash...)

The back I painted with brown chalkboard paint which gave it a nice matte finish.

I stamped the 5 petal leaf (Rubbernecker "Leaf 5") using white acrylic paint, when dry, colored with the Inktense pencils. (PS wash your stamp right away...)

The maple leaves (Rubbernecker "Maple Leaf") I inked up the stamp using Distress acrylic daubers ("Mustard Seed", "Wild Honey", "Barn Door" & "Crushed Olive") and stamping. When dry, shadow outlined with a Sakura white gel pen.

Stamped the quote using Versafine "Toffee" and embossing with white embossing powder.

For the inside, I masked my edges and spray painted with a green acrylic paint

 Click on any image to enlarge. Enjoy

Don't forget to comment on each blog post
today it's myself (Yogi) and Holly

Here is the list of contributors from the Quietfire Design group:
Sept 29- Wanda, Teresa
Sept 30-Kathy Jo, Sherry
Oct 1-Yogi, Holly
Oct 2- Yvonne ,Robyn
Oct 3- Suzanne
Don't forget to comment on the Walnut Hollow Blog too.


.

51 comments:

Evelyn said...

Yogi, what a great idea! I like that the sides are different.

Heather said...

I love it!! I could use that shelf in my room!! so many ideas spinning right now.

Art By Wanda said...

Yogi, I love your tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheila said...

Such a realistic looking box/tray. I admire the work that went into it.

Fran O. said...

Nice project. Love the leaf stamps!

Linda T said...

What a beautiful project. I just love it. Love the leaves and the crafting words. My altime fav is ladybugs so that is just the sweetest.

Walnut Hollow said...

Terrific idea to make the Rustic Wood Ledge 2-sided! Love how you used the leaves and the special Quietfire Design stamps.

Unknown said...

WOW! I have to do this! What a wonderful idea! Thank you.

Saundra A. said...

Really love this project! So creative.

Dawn S. said...

Such a great idea. Love the two different sides.

Sandy said...

What a great idea. I love what you have done on both sides. Fantastic!

Roseanna C said...

A wonderful addition to your work area. I like that you have two different sides. Thanks for the inspiration.

trisha too said...

Lovely tray--beautiful and functional.

:)

barbara macaskill said...

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! I LOVE this!! I definitely need one or two of these rustic ledges to store my absolute must have close at hand items!! I love that you used a real leaf as your stencil base. I might even need a few more to decorate and fill with little treats as Christmas presents!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Holly said...

Each side different- brilliant Yogi! This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This would look so much better on my craft table than the assorted jars, cups, and plastic dishes that I'm using now.
The embellishments are beautiful.
My craft room is going to be remodeled and I'll be making one of these ledge for the edge of the table.
thanks for the idea.

Robyn said...

fresh and elegant desk decor! thanks Yogi!

Viki Banaszak said...

This is so awesome! I could use more places for stuff ;)

jcobb said...

I love this! I have an elderly lady that I work for who is legally blind. She would love this to keep her desktop organized!

cghundley said...

Oh such a lot of hard work
for this pretty container!
Looks wonderful and would
be fun to have on the desk.
Carla from Utah

JPScraps said...

This is awesome! Decorating the sides differently is a GREAT idea!

Kathy Eddy said...

Love your tray and all the artsy supplies in it!

dorina d said...

Fabulous desk accessory. Love that one side is done with chalkboard paint and the other is on the white side. Beautiful work and a very clever way to display the beautiful calligraphy stamp. Nice work!

Beach Girl 115 said...

What a great container to corral all the necessary crafting supplies in one spot. Thanks for the creative idea.

Charity Morris-Chamberlain said...

Fabulous idea! Love how it holds so many things and I love how you decorated it!

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Beautiful!! And so handy to have on your desk!

Janis said...

So beautiful and useful!! Love the words on the tissue paper. Clever technique!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Sue D said...

Love all the leaves and the wood burning.

nancy carroll said...

Simply stunning!!!! LOVE the inspiration.

Quietfire said...

I'm going to have dis-assemble mine and re-purpose it!!! I love this!

Felicia said...

Is this a fabulous idea or what! Love this tray and inspiration! :)

Yvonne said...

Love love love this project!

Mary Decker said...

Such a pretty, useful way to be organized! I could see this easily as a gift for any of my grandnieces or grandnephews, for friends, or for myself. I don't have a neat way to keep my supplies organized like this!

Thank you for taking the time to create, photograph, and post your ideas!

Unknown said...

Wonderful tray!

C. M. Taylor said...

I love your project better yet.............I love that you did not forget yourself! I make things all the time for others and rarely make something for myself, This is one that I will do, just for me. Thank you for sharing your artistic talent and ideas.

Jackie said...

Aahhh... this is exactly what I need for my craft table! Thank you for the inspiration.

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

I love the beautiful things that are practical too!

Pat said...

Great container for all the little necessities. Love how you decorated with leaves and labels.

Nancy said...

Yogi, I just love this tray and the technique of using real oak leaves to trace onto the tray and then paint. They are so lovely and I know I need a few of these for my craft table and desk!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous box, loved those fine details!

Anonymous said...

Yogi, I would love to make a wooden ledge like yours! This is absolutely gorgeous!!

Christina said...

Great gift to give away or keep for myself.

LeeBeth said...

What a great idea, doing each side with a different design. It sure helps keep boredom away.

Anonymous said...

I love the two sided effect, to be able to encourage yourself when you're creating and 'stuck' is a great idea! :) You have so many crafting gifts to share, I stand amazed :) Thanks for sharing your amazing talents!

Mickey Drake ( drakemickey@yahoo.ca )

Sheila said...

What a great project...variety is the spice of life...thank you for sharing.

Froggietalks said...

This is wonderful Yogi😀

Anonymous said...

cute idea! Great use of leaves! Follower from Tamworth

Teri's Alter Ego said...

Beautiful! A great idea for organizing crafting items on the work table. It would also be great as a fall "tea" tray!

Colleen said...

Wow, love this box it would look awesome on my craft table. You could use this in table settings as well decorated in many ways

Unknown said...

Awesome idea! I need one of these! Thanks for the inspiration!

McStamper said...

I love your idea and totally useful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...