Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Mixed Media Cardmaking ~ Every Day is a Journey


WOW! Kim here, the days go by so quickly between my blog post schedule, and here we are in March already. Despite the fast passing of time, I’m really thrilled to have more winter behind me! I find myself turning to warm colours in my projects, those that represent sunshine and sunsets. It’s not a conscious choice, but a readiness. Not surprising than, is that my project started with an older background in my stash with just these colours!



I added some random placements of the QFD Grid stamp to my background.



Using a mix of gesso & gel medium [~1:3], I brushed it where my focal points would be. This translucent layer visually recedes the background so the focal points can come to the forefront. My image is glued on using a glue stick.



I stamped a quote from the QFD Every Day is a Journey set onto some deli paper with archival ink. This next technique is one of my favourites!



Tear around the quote and adhere to card using matte gel medium. When using tissue or deli paper in this way, the paper becomes almost transparent, especially with the gesso underneath! This allows you to have a perfectly stamped image over a rough surface! No concerns about trying to go back and stamp areas that got missed due to texture!



When my layers were all dry, I lighted brushed my card with Perfect Project powder. This reduces static for easier embossing.



My favourite ink to emboss with when using colour is Distress Oxide. It stays nice and juicy while providing a crisp image. I always try to match my colours, so it’s forgiving if I miss a spot with the embossing powder. Using a cardboard and plastic tube as my ‘stamp’ I added some circles over my project.



The QFD Modern Gilding Powders I used were Gothic Black and Dragon Berry but there are many more gorgeous colours to choose from, you need to check them all out! I love the texture and shine these circles add to my card.



As my final steps, I added a grungy border and did a bit of mark making using Dylusions paint pens. I am happy with how it turned out and I LOVE that quote!



Thanks for checking out my project! I understand it may not be everyone’s style but mixed media is so fun and forgiving! It challenges my brain and really teaches me how my products work. I hope you try one or two of these ideas on a future project...or just for fun!


Supply List:




Emerald Creek Perfect Project
Ranger Industries Distress Oxide inks
Ranger Industries Gesso & Gel Medium
Ranger IndustrieS Dylusions Paint Pens
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L adhesives



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...